31.10.11

Slice of Life - Procrastination

The past week I've been a little bit lazy. I skipped a couple of classes and I've generally just wallowed in my lack of motivation towards school. Maybe it's the stress of midterms or the combination of personal, school and work stress. In any case, I let myself get behind and now I'm paying for it. Last night I stayed up almost all night doing homework and I barely finished what was due on Monday. Now I'm trying to finish all my homework for tomorrow, but I'm running on four hours of sleep. The thing is that being lazy is supposed to make you feel better. Taking a break and letting go a little should be a relief, but I have found it to be just the opposite. This past Friday, despite allowing myself little breaks all week, I still felt the same exhaustion that I feel at the end of every week. Which makes me wonder, is it better to keep your head down and work hard when you feel like stopping or is it better to give yourself a break? My experience in the past week would suggest that the former is the best option. I do believe that there are some situations when it's best to let yourself take a break, like when something deeply traumatic happens. When it comes to everyday stress though, I think it's better to work as hard as you can and then be satisfied with that. I'm not suggesting you should run yourself into the ground, rather I mean that it's almost a stress reliever just to finish whatever you've been putting off. I ended up finishing two big projects this weekend and I'm in the process of completing another one. It feels good to get those things off my chest so that I can move on to other things. I like finishing projects, but I still haven't mastered the procrastination thing. I'll just keep working on it.

No comments: